Hello.....

....welcome to my blog on writing, reading and living in London ......

Friday 31 August 2012

Lindy Hop in London

Okay, so I admit it, I am obsessed with dancing at present. My latest tryout was Lindy Hop. Said to have originated in Harlem during the Jazz era it was popularised by Hollywood (here's a short history from Wikipedia). I've heard of this dance so many times but have shied away mainly because learning a new dance is thoroughly daunting. You just know there's going to be that horrid bit where you look like a an elephant in a tutu with a great big sign, 'learner dancer' strapped to your wobbly behind. Well, not exactly, but that's how it feels. Then there's the other yikes bit where you sit in the corner hoping, just hoping that someone might come and ask you to dance. Well, now that I am a lady of a certain age I've got to the point where I swallow my inhibitions and just go and grab someone myself. I was told by a very nice guy last night that he appreciates being asked so that made me feel better. The two of us hopped and jumped (sadly due to my inexperience, not at the same time) but had a nice chat too - dancing is so civilised and such fun. He goes to lindy hop because of the music. If you want a taste of what lindy hop is all about, check out this you tube video I defy you not to smile while you're watching this. All the moves in hold are lindy hop. The thing I like about this video is it shows that this sort of dance goes on all over the city, off back streets, behind ordinary residential homes people are just out there having fun, keeping fit, meeting each other and enjoying themselves. Dancing is a great antidote to all the negative stories in newspapers. It's also fantastic for beating writers' bottom. Needless to say, I shall be out dancing again tonight - this time up in South Kensington at a nice, easy ceroc do.... PS the photo above is of my daughter dancing with last night's most fabulous dancer, she was great at it although she didn't think so (she doesn't read my blog so I'm safe posting it!)

9 comments:

Carol Hedges said...

Oh, this sounds such fun!! Inhibitions need swallowing! Along with a lot of other things!! I wish we had classes like this here!!

Cara Cooper said...

You should start one up Carol. The moves are actually fairly simple, it's the speed which makes them look difficult. But you can do very effective slow lindy hopping. Most of the classes I know have been started by people who just love it and hire a hall....

Rosie Hendry said...

It's looks a fabulous fun dance, Cara. I first saw it on Strictly a couple of years ago. I'm sure it's as fun to do as it looks. Let us know how you get on with your dancing.

margaret blake said...

Sounds and looks great fun.

Cara Cooper said...

Thanks Kate and Margaret. We went to ceroc last night which I would recommend to anyone starting out dancing as the simplest dance. Basically it's an easy jive. Even people who have never danced before can give it a go and have a fun evening.

Rama Ananth said...

Nice to know about this type of dance, I will surely look up in the net and also the Youtube.
Please, please remove the word verification.

Chris Stovell said...

Brilliant - well done, you! Although my heart has just sunk at your comment about ceroc being an 'easy jive'... I'm afraid I couldn't even manage that! Youngest and her partner went to jive classes - so lovely to see them dancing, they've also tried lindy hop which they enjoyed but said it was more technical. I'd so love to be able to dance... but hate the thought of being so bad at it!

Cara Cooper said...

Rama thanks for your comment. I will look at removing the word verification if only I can work out how! Chris, you have to go through the pain barrier with dancing. There is always that point at which you think you just can't do it - like driving - then all of a sudden it comes together. No pain no gain....

Wendy's Writing said...

Hi Cara. I am so pleased to have found another writer who is a dancaholic! About sixteen years ago(can it really be that long!) I discovered modern jive and became toltally addicted. Then about twelve years ago I decided to try salsa and once again became addicted - you must try it. It was while at a salsa class that I met my lovely husband (we got married two years ago). We continue to do these dances but two years ago started ballroom and last week Argentine tango! I am going to be putting my salsa wedding dance on my blog soon if you want to have a look. Keep dancing - it's great!