Hello.....

....welcome to my blog on writing, reading and living in London ......

Sunday 1 July 2012

Inspiration in art - Royal Academy Summer Exhibition

There was some truly wonderful art at the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy in London's Piccadilly which I visited recently. These paintings evoked emotions and kickstarted the imagination - wonderful fodder for a writer. Hope you like them. It goes on until 12 August so you still have time to visit.
The still life was so beautiful, totally tranquil and a painting I would have loved to own. The house with the neat garden was fascinating. From a distance it simply looked like an impressive old house that you'd love to live in. When you got closer, you saw the decay, the smashed windows and the cracked walls. The whole set up oozed mystery. It would make the most wonderful cover for a book. For a romance (and now crime) writer I found both paintings inspirational in creating moods and ideas. Finally, the head which looked as if it should have sat on a Grecian temple was made out of matchsticks, brilliant and again, deceptive from a distance. I loved the whole exhibition and will definitely go next year. Have you found inspiration and ideas in art? You can buy my latest book The Sanctuary by clicking on this link.

3 comments:

Carol Hedges said...

My daughter's Art teacher used to have work accepted! It's funny, isn't it, when you see something wonderful done in another medium by a good practioner, how you always want to do it too. I'd LOVE to be able to paint ... and sing...and make those amazing cupcakes with fancy icing....x

Toni Sands said...

You certainly had a day to remember, Cara. I too find inspiration in art, more than in music in fact. And Carol's post reminded me that my elder sister had a picture hung in the Junior section of the Royal Acadamy but that was decades ago!
Lots of interesting stuff on your blog x

Cara Cooper said...

Thank you Carol, you're right, you always think, I could have a go. Then you start and realise it ain't as easy as it looks.

Toni, that's a real achievement by your sister, something to boast about. I occasionally paint but it's so time consuming. It's either writing or painting and writing always wins out.