Hello.....

....welcome to my blog on writing, reading and living in London ......

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Is Singapore the most honest city in the world?

The recent story about a Singapore cabbie returning nearly 1 million dollars left in his cab would be remarkable in most cities, but not I feel in Singapore. I had a wonderful visit there a year ago to see my husband who works on cruise ships. The ship was in dry dock and I flew in the night before my husband became free. I therefore arrived on my own, after a 12 hour flight, at night time. When I came up the escalator from the MRT station at Tanjong Pagar I had no notion what to expect. If I had ascended at Green Park station at midnight looking lost and confused I doubt whether I would have felt at ease. Nor I imagine would I have been approached by not one, but two people, separately asking me if I needed help. But that's what happened in Singapore. I was politely and kindly directed to my hotel and had the feeling, that had I asked these kind strangers would have probably carried my cases and bought me coffee too! During the week we were there, we walked the length and breadth of the streets at all hours during the day and felt 100% safe. That's why I'm not at all surprised at this story. It's also why I'm set my latest police procedural story in Singapore. I'm over 10,000 words in and half in love with my Chinese detective Danny who looks remarkably like Aki Fukutomi on the recent Junior Doctors TV series. It's looking gooooood!

4 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

I've never been to Singapore - and probably never will as I don't like flying much but have friends who have neen there and it sounds an amazing place. I am intrigued by your husband working on a cruise ship! Does he still? What did he do?

Cara Cooper said...

Hi Wendy, he's a classical guitarist. On the ships he's Assistant Cruise Director which means they have to play for the guests but in-between times, keep the passengers happy, help them with everything needed, generally make their trip a happy one. It's a great job, very demanding 24/7 as they have safety responsibilities etc but with the compensation of being able to see the world.

Wendy's Writing said...

Wow. What a brilliant job! Does that mean he's away a lot? Do you get to join him on any of the cruises?

Cara Cooper said...

Hi Wendy - I wish! Yes, he's away for months at a time. Sadly I haven't been able to join him on any cruises, they're 5* ones and there isn't much of a discount for wives, hrrmph!